Monday, July 12, 2010

Mao II by Don DeLillo

Have you ever read a book, knew you enjoyed it, but have no recollection of what it's about, or of the experience of reading it? Or maybe this only happens to me. I've had this book scanned and uploaded for two months but have been avoiding it because I have no idea what to say about it. Ever after reading a plot summary, nothing jogged my memory of it. I don't know what that says about me, or the book, but I've decided I need to just post this and move on with it. Maybe I'll try to read it again, but maybe not.

According to the back cover copy, "At the heart of the book is Bill Gray, a famous reclusive writer who escapes the failed novel he has been working on for many years and enters the world of political violence, a nightscape of Semtex explosives and hostages locked in basement rooms. Bill's dangerous passage leaves two people stranded: his brilliant, fixated assistant, Scott, and the strange young woman who is Scott's lover--and Bill's." (I love how that little bit at the end is supposed to be such a twist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment