Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Best of LCD: The Art and Writing of WFMU, Edited by Dave the Spazz

This is a collection of covers, articles, comics, and more, from the pages of LCD (Least Common Denominator), WFMU's program guide. LCD's print run was from 1986 to 1998, and served as a visual supplement to the station's eccentric programming.

The book is brimming with creativity and energy, each page filled with drawings and comics. Even the weekly schedules were works of art.

A sampling of LCD's colorful cover art. I love the LSD-inspired one above--I remember my mother warning me against taking tiny pictures of cartoon characters from strangers (even though I had no idea what acid was at the time), probably right around when this was drawn.

The articles themselves are pretty entertaining, covering such topics as song poem artist Rodd Keith,

fictional stand-up comedian Neil Hamburger, the true identity of Ernie Bushmiller's "Nancy," an appreciation of flexi-discs, anti-rock n roll books, the Kennedy assassination, and so on.

And then of course are the comics, with contributions from some of my favorites (Tony Millionaire, Peter Bagge, Daniel Clowes, Charles Burns, Kaz, Joe Sacco, etc),

as well as from some who I've never heard of. Michael Dougan, for example. I really like his above drawing of Little Richard. Great stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you like the book. It was a total labor of love. I recently finished the follow-up: The Worst of LCD.

    https://www.wfmu.org/marathon/tch.shtml#pr50

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete