Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Complete Untitled Film Stills by Cindy Sherman

This very nice hardcover book collects all 69 photographs in Cindy Sherman's "Untitled Film Stills," a series of images designed to look like stills from imaginary movies. Sherman dons wigs, makeup, and costumes--and she really does an impressive job of disguising herself--creating invented worlds that one can really envision being out of some forgotten noir film or B-movie. I love the grainy quality of the stock, made to resemble the cheap 50-cent publicity photos of the day.

I always like to imagine the plots of the "movies"--a troubled Hollywood starlet on a bender? Having an affair at some secret seaside hideaway?

This woman is either being stalked or followed by a private eye. Or maybe she's on her way to deliver a mysterious package (ransom money?). I could go on.

Many of them almost recall a particular style of film. For some reason this one reminds me of early Woody Allen movies.

This one evokes for me the British "kitchen sink" dramas of the 60s.


There's a Hitchcock blonde if I ever saw one.

No comments:

Post a Comment